Tuesday, January 15, 2008

MagEscape

In this post I'm going to talk about the gameplay and game's "story".

First of all, the name: the game is called MagEscape (Mage Escape) because you play as a Mage who has to escape the tower in which he is trapped, using his abilities. (I didn't google the game before deciding it and then I found there are a lot of indie games called MagEscape :( )

WARNING! (xD) - Graphics are provisional. They can be changed at any moment. What I show here are the first thing I came with, and I can't make much more, I'm not an artist :(.

This is the main character, no name yet.




The idea of the game is to move the character jumping around the map, while at the same time we use the mouse to use his "abilities" and create different types of blocks to help us reach the exit of the level. So we can jump into the void and create a block below him to use as a platform, or create a bouncy block and jump on it till we can reach a higher block.

We'd have X units of each block to use in each level (like in Lemmings games you have the different abilities) and the least we use, the more points we'll get.
So far I've came with this blocks:
- Simple block: It stays in the air and has collisions with everything. Ussually used as platforms.




- Bouncy block: A bouncy block, to reach higher grounds::




I'll think of more eventually.

Levels are formed by simple, triangular, large triangular and bouncy balls, giant bolls (if you touch them, you die) and possibly enemies, teleports...

The goal is to go from the starting point to the exit door of the level overcoming some obstacles. For example, a gap between you and the exit, which you can pass creating a "bridge" with normal blocks, or you can create just a few blocks, jump from one to another and earn more points.

I've some ideas, like having to kill all the enemies in the level to open the exit door, or use switches.

At this time I have the following things coded and working:
  • Character movement - Probably going to change it in the future, because I use a wheel from the physics engine and then draw the sprite on top of it.
  • Level creation - You can select any block and create it with the mouse. The screen is automatically divided with an invisible grid, so the blocks are created in the square the mouse is, not the exact position (so all the blocks fit)
A screencap of what I've done so far:

No comments: